Sleeve, booklet, and disc art for Arrow Academy
Based on the book Children of the A-Bomb: Testament of the Boys and Girls of Hiroshima by Dr. Arata Osada, director Hideo Sekigawa's 1953 film Hiroshima is a realistic retelling of the day the atomic bomb was dropped. I was given this project in April and it called for the usual: sleeves, disc art, and a booklet.
I was only given a handful of stills and most of them were pretty low-resolution. Since there wasn't much detail to start with, I figured it was better to slightly blur the images instead of sharpen them. To do this, simply duplicate the image, add a Gaussian blur, and then set the blend mode to multiply.
There are only four stills on display here but it was an opportunity to play with different crops. And I always have to add color (both single colors and gradients) when working with black and white movies.

Fonts used (l-r): Titling Gothic Normal + Titling Gothic Narrow / OFL Sorts Mill Goudy Regular + OFL Sorts Mill Goudy Italic /
Realist Wide Black + Realist Bold Italic / Mr Eaves Ultra + Mr Eaves Bold

Fonts used (l-r): Athelas Bold + Athelas Italic / Oskar Two Bold + Oskar Two Regular /
Mauritius Regular + Mauritius Regular / Bureau Grot Extra Compressed Bold + Bureau Grot Book

The image used in #6 (bottom, second from the left) won out, but with the colors from #2 and the font from #5. The font used for the title is actually reduced in height by 20% and width by 35%. This is something, by the way, I rarely do. As I learned in school, if you need a thinner font, find one! Don't take an existing font and tinker with it.
Any image not used for the sleeve would be used for the booklet. Eventually the producers sent me some screenshots and since I didn't want the images to be in black and white, I used the same subtle color gradient for everything. Given the seriousness of the film's subject matter, I basically wanted the booklet to be as clean and no-frills as possible. To present 4x3 screenshots as full spreads, additional sky would have to be painted in.
I was given some original one-sheets but none of them could really be used, so with feedback from the producers, I combined the best of two: the one-sheet of the best quality but with the text and color from another one. I used Griffon Bold for the title and fonts from the Benton Sans family for the rest of the text. Unfortunately, as of this writing, the Benton typeface is no longer available from Adobe Fonts.
The booklet actually grew as I worked on it. I'm not always given a page count but with two essays and a complete director filmography, 16 or even 24 pages wouldn't work. The essays included footnotes which I admit I haven't worked with since my first go-around at college. (And if you Google "MLA style," you still get the same website we used in high school.)
The filmography was a challenge. I decided to present the information in columns but everything had to be double- and triple-checked, especially given I was working with Japanese characters and the UK date format.
All told, I'm quite proud of the work I did on this release. Hopefully, thanks to Arrow, this important film will be seen by a wider audience.
Back to Top